Citrix have released XenApp Printing Optimization Pack. When i read through the new features, then it reminds me of “Project Laser”, thats going to be released to XenDesktop 5 in Q4 2010. My view on this feature is this is first phase of releasing “Project Laser” and when XenDesktop 5 is released its a part of the Download, its already on XenDesktop Components for (XenDesktop 4.0 Feature Pack 2). so its semi OUT* Project Laser ;o)
Derek Thorslund writes about Project Laser:
HDX Plug-n-Play now automatically discovers printers when they are plugged in or wirelessly connected to the network, creating printer connections in real time. And printers created by roaming XenDesktop VDI users are immediately reflected in upstream XenApp sessions.
This is one of the new features in XenApp Printing Optimization Pack:
(evidence that its Project Laser, oh yes!)
Adds dynamic printer discovery to automatically reenumerate and update XenApp session printers after roaming to a different location so that relaunching of XenApp sessions is no longer necessary.
Well enough of my opinions about this product.
Features of XenApp Printing Optimization Pack
XenApp Printing Optimization Pack improves printing speed, reduces bandwidth required for printing, and improves the user experience when printing to redirected client printers.
XenApp Printing Optimization Pack:
- Adds settings to the Universal Printing Citrix policy setting that control enhanced Metafile Format (EMF) processing mode and image and font caching, limits and defaults for print quality and image compression, and users’ ability to modify these settings
- Adds options to the Session printers Citrix policy setting that control default printer settings for session printer
- Adds options to the Printing driver mapping and compatibility Citrix policy setting that control default printer settings for mapped client printer drivers
- Adds dynamic printer discovery to automatically reenumerate and update XenApp session printers after roaming to a different location so that relaunching of XenApp sessions is no longer necessary.
- XenApp 6 for Windows Server 2008 R2
- Citrix online plug-in 12.1 for Windows
- Windows 7 (Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions), 32-bit and 64-bit editions
- Windows Vista (Home Premium, Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions), 32-bit and 64-bit editions
- Windows XP Professional, 32-bit and 64-bit editions