How to Setup Citrix XenServer 6.x to Auto-Start Virtual Machines
In XenServer 6.x, the direct GUI ability to auto-start a Virtual Machine on the startup of XenServer was removed. This article describes how to set Virtual Machines to auto-start.
- XenServer 6.0
- XenServer 6.0.2
In XenServer 6, the auto-start functionality was removed because it interfered with High Availability (HA) and produced unexpected results during HA functions.
Setting the XenServer to allow Auto-Start
- Gather the UUID’s of the pools you wish to auto-start.
- To get the list of the pool’s on your XenServer type “xe pool-list”
- Copy the UUID of the pool. If you have just one server, it will still have a pool UUID as noted in the following screenshot:
- Then type the following command to set the pool or server to allow auto-start:
Note: *Replacing UUID with the UUID of the XenServer or pool.*
Setting the Virtual Machines to Auto-Start
- Gather the UUID’s of the Virtual Machine you want to auto-start by typing:
Note: This generates a list of Virtual Machines in your pool or server and their associated UUID’s.
- Copy the UUID of the Virtual Machines you want to auto-start, and type the following command for each Virtual Machine to auto-start.
Note: *Replace UUID with the UUID of the Virtual Machine to auto-start.*