Mac Client Printer Mapping Fix for Citrix XenDesktop/XenApp 7.6
If you have users that have a Apple Mac OSX device such as (iMac, Macbook, Macbook Pro) then this article might be interesting for you. I am helping many clients around the world and I often see more companies adapting Apple OSX devices. Specially SMB and Enterprises are adapting Apple Macbook products these days cause they are powerfull computers and have some of the best design and reliability. Many companies have no other option to adapt Apple OSX devices, so they attract the right talented employee, which are requesting this device if they want to work at the company, and you think this is funny then welcome to reality, Apple is back and more powerful than before. The good news is that Citrix can help with this and bring any app to work on these devices and secure the workspace with the Citrix Receiver where the user connect to a central and secure solution. The challenge comes when the user have local printers to their mac device and now tell IT they want to print from their Citrix session.
In latest release of Citrix XenDesktop, XenApp 7.6 if your users on Mac OSX devices, wants to use local printers and then connect to their remote Citrix VDI (Windows 8/8.1) or XenApp (Server 2012/2012R2) and then print, this is not going to work. Before this article got released users would only be able to get local printing working to a Windows 7 VDI or a XenApp server running Server 2008R2.
If you have users running pure Windows Computers, then you are not going to run into this issue with getting local printers to work with a Citrix environment running Windows 7/8/8.1, Server 2008R2/2012/2012R2.
In Citrix XenDesktop 7.6, default policies are set to map all client printers, so you dont have configure this policy.
Summary if you have a Mac device and Citrix Receiver and local printers installed on your Mac, now you want to accomplish connecting to your VDI (Windows 8/8.1) XenApp (Windows Server 2012/2012R2) then you are going to fail, do below and you succeed.
(how to get local printers to work on a Apple OSX computer with Citrix Receiver to a XenDesktop/XenApp 7.6 environment running Windows 8/8.1 or Server 2012/2012R2)
- On the desktop you want to configure, open Control Panel > View Devices and Printers.
- Select any Printer, for example Microsoft XPS Document Writer.
- Click Print server properties, as displayed in the following screen shot:
- Select Drivers tab.
- Click Add > Next.
- Choose Processor Architecture, click Next.
- Select Windows Update.
- Select Manufacturer ‘HP’ and Printers ‘HP Color LaserJet 2800 Series PS’ (if there are two versions of this driver displayed, choose the Microsoft version)
- Click Next > Finish.
- Now connect or reconnect to your Citrix XenApp session running (Server 2012/2012R2) or Citrix XenDesktop VDI session running (Windows 8/8.1) then your local printers will be mapped in Citrix session and you can print.
Citrix technology professional – CTP, and Microsoft Most Valuable Professional MVP, Thomas Poppelgaard provides professional services. Write to me on my email email@example.com or call on my cell +45 53540356