Citrix Receiver 4.0 for Windows
Citrix have released a new Citrix Receiver 4.0 for Microsoft Windows.
About Citrix Receiver 4.0 for Windows
Citrix Receiver for Windows provides users with secure, self-service access to virtual desktops and apps provided by XenDesktop and XenApp. Receiver also provides on-demand access to Windows, Web, and Software as a Service (SaaS) apps. Users can access apps through stores managed by Citrix StoreFront or legacy web pages managed by Web Interface.
What’s new in Receiver 4.0
Citrix Receiver 4.0 for Windows provides the following new features and enhancements.
- Support for XenDesktop 7 features – Receiver supports the many enhancements provided by XenDesktop 7, including Windows Media client-side content fetching, multicast support, client folder redirection, Local App Access, and support for IPv6 connections.
- Support for StoreFront 2.0 features – Receiver supports the many enhancements provided by StoreFront 2.0, including smart card authentication and support for IPv6 connections.
- Integrated Smart card authentication – Receiver now provides integrated smart card authentication for StoreFront connections, including support for:
- Pass-through authentication (single sign-on). Users of domain-joined devices enter their smart card credentials to log on to Receiver. They can then start virtual desktops and apps without needing to re-enter credentials.
- Bimodal authentication. Users can log on with a smart card or enter their user name and password. This enables a user to log on even if a certificate has expired or the user does not have the smart card.
- Multiple certificates. When users insert a smart card into a card reader, Receiver chooses the certificates needed and can use multiple certificates from one or more cards.
- Double hop sessions. Users can start a virtual desktop and then use Receiver on that virtual desktop to start an application from a different delivery group.
- Smart card-enabled apps. Users can digitally sign or encrypt documents in a virtual desktop or app session.
For more information, refer to Configure smart card authentication. For information about system requirements, planning smart card deployments, and an overview to the configuration required for all related Citrix components, refer to the latest XenDesktop and StoreFront documentation.
- User experience improvements –
- Receiver now displays a notification when installation of an update completes.
- When the session reliability policy is in effect, Receiver dims apps when the connection to the server is lost.
- H.264 decoding – When used XenDesktop 7, Receiver provides improved performance of rich and professional graphics apps on WAN networks.
- Support for HDX Insight – HDX Insight is the integration of EdgeSight network analysis and EdgeSight performance management with Director. With this support now in Receiver, XenDesktop administrators can check performance metrics related to the health of this component. No configuration of this feature is required.
- COM port and LPT port mapping change – In XenDesktop 7 deployments, COM port and LPT port mapping are disabled by default. Use the port redirection policies to enable mapping.
Citrix Receiver 4.0 for Windows is supported on following platforms
The following list of requirements specifies edition or service pack only where support is limited.
- Windows 8, 32-bit and 64-bit editions (including Embedded Edition)
- Windows 7, 32-bit and 64-bit editions (including Embedded Edition)
- Windows XP Professional SP3, 32-bit edition, and Windows XP Professional SP2, 64-bit edition (including Embedded Edition)
- Windows Vista, 32-bit and 64-bit editions
- Windows Thin PC
- Windows Server 2012, 64-bit edition
- Windows Server 2008 R2, 64-bit edition (not supported by XenDesktop connections)
- Windows Server 2008, 32-bit and 64-bit editions (not supported by XenDesktop connections)
- Windows Server 2003, 32-bit and 64-bit editions (not supported by XenDesktop connections)
- VGA or SVGA video adapter with color monitor
- Windows-compatible sound card for sound support (optional)
- For network connections to the server farm, a network interface card (NIC) and the appropriate network transport software
- XenDesktop (any of the following products):
- XenDesktop 7
- XenDesktop 5.6, Feature Pack 1
- XenDesktop 5.6
- XenDesktop 5.5
- XenDesktop 5
- XenDesktop 4
- XenApp (any of the following products):
- Citrix XenApp 6.5, Feature Pack 1, for Windows Server 2008 R2
- Citrix XenApp 6.5 for Windows Server 2008 R2
- Citrix XenApp 6 for Windows Server 2008 R2
- Citrix XenApp 5 for Windows Server 2008
- Citrix XenApp 5 for Windows Server 2003
- Citrix XenApp 4, Feature Pack 1 or 2, for UNIX operating systems
- Citrix VDI-in-a-Box
- VDI-in-a-Box 5.3
- VDI-in-a-Box 5.2
- VDI-in-a-Box 5.1